- 5 chicken thigh fillets, bone in, skin OFF
- 1 onion, chopped (brown, white or yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic (large), minced
- 2 tbsp/ 30 g butter (or olive oil)
- 1½ cups / 270 g long grain white rice (Note 3)
- 1½ cups / 375 ml chicken broth/stock, warmed
- 1¼ cups / 312 ml water, hot (tap is fine)
- Chicken Rub
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Scatter onion and garlic in a baking dish (about 10 x 15" / 25 x 35 cm), then place butter in the centre. Bake for 15 minutes (check at 12 minutes, mix if some bits are browning too much).
- Meanwhile, mix together Chicken Rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Remove baking dish from the oven. Add rice then mix.
- Place chicken on rice. Then pour chicken broth and water around the chicken.
- Cover with foil, then bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil then bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Stand for 5 minutes, then remove chicken and fluff up rice. Serve and enjoy!
I make this with skinless bone-in thigh fillets because they bake in the same time as the rice. In Australia, they are sold with the skin already off at butchers and at Woolworths (in the pre packaged section). The skin must be removed otherwise the rice will be a greasy mess.
If you make this with boneless skinless thigh fillets or breast, add them into the pot 25 minutes into the bake time (so they are in the oven for 25 minutes). Only thing to ensure is that the surface of the dish is not entirely covered with chicken - you need some space for the liquid to evaporate during the uncovered baking time.
This Rub can be substituted with any seasonings you want! Lemon Pepper Seasoning, Italian Herb Mix - just use what you have.
This recipe is best made with long grain rice because it's less sticky than short and medium grain. Basmati and jasmine will also work - around the same cook time. For brown rice, leave it covered for 45 minutes then bake uncovered 15 - 20 minutes until rice is tender (chicken will be more tender too, other option is to add chicken 15 minutes into the bake time at the beginning but I personal would not bother).
This recipe is not suitable for Minute Rice, Risotto or Paella Rice.
This recipe makes 5 very generous servings! The nutrition assumes all the rice is consumed which it may not be.
This dish turned out to be a definite keeper! Delicious!
Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!
Please continue to submit your recipes, favorite restaurants and dishes to
firstname.lastname@example.org or simply click on the “Contact Us” link.
Again, thank you for sharing with us and it’s a joy to spread the foodiness!!!